Sep 23, 2005

the Friday, apparently random, "10"

My apologies. My old machine died, and took 60GB of great tunes with it. iMacDV. green. dead.

the good news, Bose tri-port headphones. Fucking A quality.

So I'm trying to rebuild the library, but I only have so much tolerance for feeding CDs to my new machine, a macMini, btw. So, if an artist came up twice, since my library is so mini, for now, I used only the first.

1) Death Cab for Cutie - Crooked Teeth
as i've mentioned, i'm just getting tino this band. This sounds like a radio track to me, very Replacements. I like their other sound better. (6.5/10)

2)Dresden Dolls - Coin operated Boy (live)
opening audience interaction line : "Just take it OFF.... so he just sticks it on over the pants..., sigh"

Another radio track. What can I say? this is a great song about being lonely because you think you deserve it, and it sucks that it's the ONLY SONG BY THE DD that I ever hear on the radio. the live track reminds you that their drummer is fucking awesome, and that two people can make some awesome noise. (7/10)

3) Brazil - Django Reinhardt
As the legend goes, a self-taught swing guitar virtuoso. I just cannot get enough of this guy. Sadly, most of his work is transferred from old crappy records, since he predates magnetic tape. This is music to play when you host a snazzy Sunday AM brunch. (6.5/10)

4) Sun King - the Beatles
What this generation needs is another Abbey Road. No, another John Lennon. Nothing like foriegn lyrics that you can still make out*. (*to) (7/10)

5) bathtub gin - phish
This song reminds me of when I used to see phish. Once the crowd was over 1,000, after 1992, I stopped going to the shows. Phish songs from the first albums always remind me of how much I miss the Grateful Dead, not for their skill, but for their previously unheralded role in drawing the most annoying hippies away from the phish shows. Also reminds me of a hippie I used to, you know, do it with. (8/10)

6) Endless Summer - Zwan!
ahh crap. nothing else. must have been trying to rip the one promising corgan-ish track on this album, and grabbed the whole thing. It's yet another corgan song to a misplaced love, but it does remind you how much better he sounds with a real drummer backing him. Billy Corgan should never program another drum machine, ever. (3/10)

7) the Dirty Glass - Dropkick Murphy's
This is the dropkick version of the Pogues tune "angels of new york city", except drunker, dirtier, and with more hitting on your waitress. (6/10)

8) Latin Simone - Gorillaz
This beat is fucking awesome. the lyrics are unintelligibly cuban, and yet it's much better than anything off the Second Gz album. Let this be a lesson to all artists, DJ Dangermouse will fuck your shit up. Que pasa contigo mi hermano? (9/10)

9) Cowboy Coffee - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Yet another band i've seen a thousand times. Chorus: "Cowboy coffee / chemical cream / right on ride on my stallion of dreams/ it's a midnight shower / a sleep in the flowers / a hurricaine breakneck speed rapidfire dream."
A Bosstones show should not be missed, even today. Something about 7 horns MAKES you dance. (8/10)

10) St. Etienne - Only love can break your heart
This is the best Neil Young cover*. (*that i can think of) Especially if you like dancehall beats with bubblegum voices. the lyrics sond very different coming from a woman.
(7/10)

11) Let's Get Retarded - Black Eyed Peas
This is ever so much more rewarding that the radio version "Let's get it started". It's my personal theme song for 3bulls visits. (9/10 for those visits)(6/10 otherwise)

damn, that's some spectrum.

10 Comments:

At 23.9.05, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Anything by St. Etienne takes me back to the Summer of '96. I'm rummaging through vintage T-shirts at American Rag, avoiding the tweaky floorsalespersons, looking for something nifty to wear to an underground art opening/drug-fueled houseparty/battleground among mods, punks & rockabillies.

Ah, those weren't the days...

 
At 23.9.05, Blogger mdhatter said...

yes, but that one song is hillarious.

and does make me think of y'all, well, trollypants anyhow.

It's the only BEP in my whole box, and for a damn good reason.

 
At 23.9.05, Blogger fulsome said...

Yea, that song is funny. The "started" version is SUPER EXTRA lame.

Besides, it's hard to ridicule when the list includes Django and The Beatles. I really feel like we just got shown up and the 11th song was so I don't have to feel so embarrassed.

OK, so maybe the Fish and Zwan help with that too. I am still a sucker for the Pumpkins though. Gish and Siamese Dream were personal eye-openers.

 
At 23.9.05, Blogger mdhatter said...

Zwan should only embarass me and billy.

 
At 24.9.05, Blogger mdhatter said...

I've always held that republican administrations and wars are both great for music.

If not for musicians.

 
At 24.9.05, Blogger Lefty said...

Not being one much for music I had only learned that the retarded version existed from Harold and Kumar. Is it the "real" version?

 
At 26.9.05, Blogger mdhatter said...

It's the tolerable version. I like taut song structures, so that track appeals, but the other lyrics did nothing for me. These lyrics change it from a beer-soaked-frat-house-rave vibe more to a Harold and Kumar vibe.

I know where I'd rather be on a saturday night.

 
At 1.10.05, Blogger Lefty said...

I was thinking more a pink-haired computer generated subway riding teen (from Maxis) vibe...

 
At 20.11.05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well mdh ter, quality blogging comes from people who put the energy into their blog like you have. It was a nice change to land on your blog, lots of others are junked up with useless comments and information. I put a lot of energy into my new surfboards site, so it does pretty well with new surfboards stuff. I think I'll re-create my blog because I like what you've done here and want mine to be more like yours. Thanks for the lesson in good bloggin. You get a special bookmark :)

have a fantastic day..

 
At 30.11.05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, is there something a little weird going on here? I don't know about you mdh ter, but my blog gets pretty cluttered with spammy comments from people. My advice to you as one blog owner to another, is to be patient and focus on the great things about having a blog, instead of all the junk that goes on. You do have a quality blog and appears that you enjoy it. My favorite web project so far is a used surf board site, because I have total control and it makes me a couple dollars here and there. It's pretty hard to find new information on used surf board stuff though. Hey, keep up your excellent job mdh ter, and good luck with your projects..

See ya ~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home