Feb 24, 2006

The United Arab Emirates

most notably, Dubai.

I know almost nothing about Dubai, except that the citizens are very wealthy, and they have a lot of guest workers, who are not generally very wealthy. Peaceful, good neighbor, all around OK country, i suppose. If I were to vacation in greater arabia right now, I think Dubai is the only place I'd really feel safe. No flies on Dubai.

Now. I know about as much about Israel, there are kibbutz there, there is desert there, and stuff blows up. I think they try to be a good neighbor, but sometimes the best neighbor is sometimes the one who won't put iup with crap, nevermind exploding mailboxes. That said, Israel has stepped way over the line a few time, but whaty the hell, i;m an american, what's a few atrocities between allies. I wouldn't visit willingly.

Britain. Wet, bad food, great beer, cute to unitelligible accent. Worcestershire sauce, ta ta. Great pals. I'd visit in a heartbeat, on my way to Ireland.

Canada. Oh, Canada.

Australia. Best friends. Literally, my best friend is australian. well, one of them, but that's another story, and another time. I would go there, but i really do not like flying for one third than many hours. Too f'ing far away, mate. Keep sending your hipster to New England though, they rock.

and lest I forget, Poland. The oft maligned stalwart, the too good neighbor, the catholic nation that has often turned that very cheek. I'd visit just to thank you.

I suppose that's the shortest list of some aopparently crucial allies. Feel free to imagine more.


Now. What is the motivation for General Electric, the corporate entity?

It is to maximize shareholder value. Because they are a publicly traded company.

Their motive is pure profit tempered by fear of government citations.


Now, as much as I love or respect my nations allies, I do not want a corporation,

read this carefully

I do not want a government owned, as in foriegn government owned, even a Canandian owned, corporate entity running ANY port of entry into my nation.

what is their motivation? To maximize shareholder value? or to maximize the intrests of a foriegn government.

Hey, if the company was owned by a single righ guy in dubai, I WOULD NOT GIVE A CRAP.

Let him run the port, let his company, from dubai, using all dubai'ian workers even, run the whole freakin port of Los Angeles for all I care.

so long as that single rich guy is not a foriegn government, then have at it.

capitalists can be trusted, becuase they are predicatable.

Governments cannot, and are not.

8 Comments:

At 24.2.06, Blogger Chuckles said...

I suppose. My gripe is that if the TSA is going to probe my butt, then why are we handing off this duty to a private/public company? Inconsistency of this sort bugs me.

 
At 25.2.06, Blogger Lefty said...

Sure, you wouldn't mind Los Angeles being run by the government of the UAE, but what about Boston?

Hey, how about if a government is going to run ports, it be ours? Uh, duh.

 
At 25.2.06, Blogger mdhatter said...

lefty, read more carefully, you have me 180 degrees wrong.

I would gladly let a Dubai company run the port of boston.

So long as it was not a government owned company.

So long as it answers to its shareholders, and not IN ANY WAY to an executitve branch of someone elses government.

 
At 26.2.06, Blogger Lefty said...

Damn internets. I forgot my <snark> tag.

I actually understood the tortured syntax of your post.

 
At 27.2.06, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Japan is a perfectly lovely ally, even if they do continue to flirt with getting rid of Article 9, thereby making the Filipinos and the Chinese a mite nervous...

 
At 28.2.06, Blogger Unknown said...

How about we sell things to Dubai and then they rent it back to Canada who subleases it to the Israeli gov't to run?

I don't trust anyone anymore. It's all a big conspiracy! I've moving to Mars.

 
At 2.3.06, Blogger mdhatter said...

but what if it's a martian conspiracy?

 
At 2.3.06, Blogger Smartypants said...

New. Post. (Dude.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home